2013 Annual Student Gathering
Anchorage, Alaska // April 11-13th, 2013
2013 Gathering Agenda
Thursday, April 11
- Opening Ceremony featuring the Alaska Native Heritage Center dancers
- Recognition of CTSO competition participants
Friday, April 12
- Student workshops and break-out sessions
- FEA Banquet with Esther Ilutsik, Nita Rearden, and keynote speaker Frances Jackson
- Honoring of Advisory Board of Cultural Knowledge Bearers
Saturday, April 13
- University of Alaska Anchorage visit
- Residence Life tour and UAA Planetarium presentation
- Mock interviews and skill-building activities
- Closing Ceremony featuring Alaska Native Heritage Center dancers
- Election of FEA Student Officers
- 2009 Fairbanks
- 2008 Juneau
- 2007 Anchorage
- 2006 Fairbanks
- 2005 Juneau
- 2004 Anchorage
10th Annual FEA Student Gathering
At the 2013 FEA Student Gathering there were roughly 70 students in attendance representing every region of Alaska. This year's event was held at the Hotel Captain Cook simultaneously with the Alaska Teacher Placement Job Fair. This created an incredible first-hand experience for students to witness the hiring process and gain valuable job interviewing skills.
The weekend's focus on the importance of "growing our own educators" provided the opportunity for many fun and engaging workshops. These included: resume building, leadership and team skills, discussions with education professors from all 3 University of Alaska MAU's, lessons from experienced Alaska Native educators, and how to get a job after earning a degree. Frances Jackson, a teacher at Glenallen Elementary, delivered an inspirational message about ‘making an impact' as the keynote speaker at our banquet on Friday evening.
Students had the fantastic opportunity to visit the University of Alaska Anchorage campus on Saturday. The day at UAA consisted of an informative tour with Residence Life, an exciting presentation at the new planetarium, and lunch in the Commons. The closing ceremony highlighted the accomplishments of FEA students, featured a performance by the Alaska Native Heritage Center dancers, and culminated with the first ever election of FEA State Officers to help lead the organization and represent FEA within Alaska's Career and Technical Student Organizations.
An album containing photos from this year's event is available for viewing on our Facebook page.